College of Arts and Sciences
BA in Biology
旧5xsq社区视费视频在线Do you have an interest in Biology, the environment, natural science, education, or allied health care fields and want flexibility to explore a double major or minor? The BA in Biology is designed for you!
About the MajorThe BA degree in biology is designed to offer students a broad background in the biological sciences permitting more free electives than the BS program. Biology electives allow you to pursue a variety of specific interests that may lead to positions in government, industry, environmental fields, teaching, and health care professions. The BA degree may be combined with education courses for certification for teaching in the public schools.
A total of 50-51 credits are required and includes a combination of biology, mathematics, and chemistry courses.
You must complete 24 credits of biology, 7-8 credits of upper-level biology, 16 credits of chemistry, 8 credits of physics and 7-8 credits of mathematics courses. Examples of core courses include:
- Introductory Biology I and II
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I and II
- Molecular Cell Biology
- Principles of Chemistry I and II
- Everyday Statistics
For more information, and to see a complete list of degree requirements, visit the
Bachelor of Arts in Biology students will be able to:
- Describe and apply basic biological information and concepts.
- Conduct original biological research and report results orally and in writing to scientific audiences.
- Demonstrate higher order conceptual understanding of biology, critical thinking and analytical/problem solving skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of biology laboratory techniques and instrumentation that is standard in the discipline.
- Apply ethical principles of the discipline in regard to human and animal subjects, environmental protection, use of sources, and collaboration with colleagues.
Yingcui Li, PhD, MD
旧5xsq社区视费视频在线Associate Professor of Biology ,
Professor Li was the 2018 recipient of the Belle K. Ribicoff Junior Faculty Prize that recognizes an outstanding junior faculty member—an assistant professor in a tenure-track position, but not yet tenured—who demonstrates combined excellence in teaching, scholarly or creative activity, and service.Since 2013, Li has distinguished herself through her infectious enthusiasm for teaching, scholarship, and service. Known for a passion that transcends the classroom, Li motivates students in the lab and in life. Asiona Findletar ’16 says about her...
Li is one of the great professors who dares to go beyond the duties of a regular professor. One who happens to teach that class you enjoy and genuinely want to go to even if it’s at 8 a.m. One that not only cares about your growth as a student but as a person as well.
Suggested Four-Year Curricula by Major
The Bachelor of Arts degree is recommended for students pursuing biology-related careers in government, industry, environmental fields, teaching and health-care professions.
(Applicable for the 2017-2018 Bulletin.)
First Year, Fall Semester
- BIO 122, Introductory Biology I 4 Credits
- CH 114, Principles of Chemistry I 4 Credits
- M 110, Modeling with Elementary Functions 3 Credits
- FYS 100 3 Credits
- DIA 100, Dialogue 1 Credits
Total Credits = 15
First Year, Spring Semester
- BIO 123, Introductory Biology II 4 Credits
- CH 136, Principles of Chemistry II 4 Credits
- AUCW 3 Credits
- WRT 110, Academic Writing I 3 Credits
Total Credits = 14
Second Year, Fall Semester
- BIO 260W, Ecology 4 Credits
- CS 110, 111 or 114 3 Credits
- WRT 210, Foundations of Argument 3 Credits
- “Diversity” course 3 Credits
- M 114, Everyday Statistics 3 Credits
旧5xsq社区视费视频在线Total Credits = 16
Second Year, Spring Semester
- BIO 272W, Genetics 3 Credits
- BIO 273W, Genetics Lab 1 Credits
- “Citizenship/Community” course 3 Credits
- AUCC 3 Credits
- Humanities elective 3 Credits
- PSY 105, Introductory Psychology 3 Credits
- DIA 200, Career Dialogue 1 Credits
旧5xsq社区视费视频在线Total Credits = 17
Third Year, Fall Semester
- BIO 212, Anatomy and Physiology I 4 Credits
- Arts Elective 3 Credits
- Humanities elective 3 Credits
- Social Science elective 3 Credits
- AUCS 3 Credits
Total Credits = 16
Third Year, Spring Semester
- BIO 213, Anatomy and Physiology II 4 Credits
- BIO 410, Developmental Biology 4 Credits
- AUCA 3 Credits
- Humanities Elective 3 Credits
旧5xsq社区视费视频在线Total Credits = 14 Credits
Fourth Year, Fall Semester
- BIO 310, Neurobiology** 4 Credits
- Electives* 12 Credits
Fourth Year, Spring Semester
- BIO 440, Medical Microbiology** 4 Credits
- Electives* 9 Credits
Total Credits = 13
* Biology BA majors should consider additional Biology electives, independent research or coursework towards a minor or double major.
** One cannot take both BIO 442, Microbiology, and BIO 440, Medical Microbiology, for credit.
Seniors should consider internships and independent research experiences.